Toronto police release picture of Matthew Foerster in Bourget murder case

Toronto police say that a second person has been charged in the fatal shooting of a civilian on Thursday evening, when a gunman opened fire near a square in the heart of downtown Toronto….

Toronto police release picture of Matthew Foerster in Bourget murder case

Toronto police say that a second person has been charged in the fatal shooting of a civilian on Thursday evening, when a gunman opened fire near a square in the heart of downtown Toronto.

Stéphane Bourget, 29, was shot dead after taking to the centre of Yonge and Spadina streets in a “drive-by shooting”. He was not the intended target, according to police.

Officer near shooting murder: ‘I heard something pop and a collective intake of breath’ Read more

Charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder in Bourget’s death is Matthew Foerster, 27, whose arrest was announced by Ontario’s crown attorney on Friday morning. Police said that they were able to provide Foerster’s name as the shooting suspect as a result of a public plea for information which followed the incident.

People gathered near the scene of Thursday evening’s shooting, which led to nearby streets being closed, in protest on Friday. Witnesses described how the shots were fired in a fast-moving matter, adding that they had trouble stopping the flow of gunfire that they thought had continued in the area for nearly two minutes.

Witnesses also told Guardian Canada they had been grabbed by police officers in a city precinct as soon as they arrived at the scene, before they were taken into custody. All told, 30 officers from nearby police stations rushed to the scene following the gunshots.

Despite thousands of public calls to crowdfund to pay for Bourget’s funeral, has reportedly not indicated whether he will receive a burial in his hometown of Sorel-Tracy.

Additional reporting by Catt Sadler, Simon Scarlett and Eleanor Chalmers

Leave a Comment