A man who was attacked in downtown Toronto was rushed to a nearby hospital Friday evening in a serious condition following what police have said was an “unprovoked” stabbing.
Initial reports indicated the victim was stabbed several times after being approached by two men near a park in the city’s financial district, MetroNews reported.
“Detectives are investigating the incident, where what we believe to be two men approached the victim and attacked him on the sidewalk with a knife,” Toronto Police Constable Jenifferjit Sidhu told local reporters.
“The suspects fled the scene after the stabbing.”
The victim was initially transported to Toronto General Hospital, but Sidhu said it wasn’t clear whether he would ultimately be transferred to a hospital closer to his home.
“Now that the family has seen him, now that the family has talked to him, they are concerned. They’re worried that he might not survive,” Burt said, according to CTV News.
Toronto’s food trucks have come under scrutiny after city officials last week announced plans to get rid of some of the vendors, complaining they were blighting the area’s parks.
The city said it would buy business permits for about 100 stand operators and would not allow food trucks in parks with limited restrooms, MetroNews reported.
Supporters of the city’s street food have long complained that the sites were dangerous.
Click for more from MetroNews.