Unconfirmed reports say 45-year-old Wafaa Atik died in bombing in which army and tribal forces were present
An unidentified car bomber blew up a vehicle in a crowded car park outside the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, killing a reporter who was pregnant and at least two others, medical sources and residents have said.
The 45-year-old journalist, Wafaa Atik, was on duty inside a cafe which overlooked the car park in the Qasr Saeed district of the city on Friday, according to a statement from a group of journalists.
A total of eight people were killed in the explosion and 34 wounded, including two women and seven children, the medical sources said.
People gather at the crime scene where a car bomb detonated in a busy car park in the Yemeni capital Sanaa. Photograph: Reuters
Sheik Mansour al-Hadi, the influential leader of a tribal alliance that is part of the government, said four children had died in the attack and that two soldiers, who were present in the area at the time, were also killed.
“An accidental explosion inside a private vehicle is being investigated and there is no other way than to look at the motives behind the attack,” the minister of defence, Mohammed al-Qirbi, said in a statement.
Rami Anjarwi, another journalist from the group of journalists, said that just over a year ago Atik herself survived an attack which killed her husband and brother.
On Thursday night, a car bomb exploded in a crowded market area in the southern province of Hodeida killing seven people and wounding dozens, according to a local official.
The attack was the latest in a series of bombings and other violence targeting al-Qaida, including one on the house of a top al-Qaida operative in Sanaa last week that left 13 people dead, including three civilians.
The state news agency Saba said the attack in Hodeida was carried out by “unidentified gunmen” but the area’s police chief Salah al-Assem said that al-Qaida was behind the attack.