Breaking: Iranian Officials Say Explosions in Nuclear Site Suspected To Be Accident, Not Terror

A loud explosion heard in the vicinity of a Iranian nuclear site has appeared to have resulted from routine maintenance work, but it is still not clear if it was an attack or a…

Breaking: Iranian Officials Say Explosions in Nuclear Site Suspected To Be Accident, Not Terror

A loud explosion heard in the vicinity of a Iranian nuclear site has appeared to have resulted from routine maintenance work, but it is still not clear if it was an attack or a chemical accident, Iranian officials and the country’s semi-official Tasnim news agency said Monday.

The report, citing several officials from Iran’s atomic agency, said Tehran will not investigate the reported blast if it isn’t caused by sabotage. It quoted Atomic Energy Organization of Iran spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi as saying the explosion occurred Saturday.

The officials said the blast occurred near a building used for repairs that was being carried out at the Natanz uranium enrichment facility. They added that no injuries were reported.

It wasn’t clear whether the explosion is related to U.S. sanctions that were reimposed earlier this month after Washington withdrew from the nuclear deal. The United States has said it wouldn’t lift sanctions as long as Iran doesn’t fully halt its nuclear program.

Tehran has rejected the reimposed sanctions as a violation of the 2015 nuclear deal, which limited Iran’s uranium enrichment in exchange for lifting international sanctions. The nuclear deal stipulates that Tehran would restrict its nuclear program in exchange for the lifting of sanctions, but it does not prohibit Iran from trying to acquire nuclear technology.

The Natanz facility is about 85 miles south of Tehran.

Leave a Comment